Secretary Alex Azar:
Don’t End Lifesaving Research
Tens of millions of Americans suffer from conditions and diseases such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, HIV, Zika and Autism. Doctors and scientists are working every day to find cures thanks to federally funded research.
Now President Trump and Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar are putting those cures at risk by threatening to gut $100 million worth of lifesaving research.
Why Would They End This Research?
Trump and Alex Azar have been taking the advice of the anti-abortion lobby that thinks ideology, not science, should determine research and policy at our nation’s health department. The lobby opposes this research because it uses tissue that a woman decides to donate after an abortion — tissue that has been successful in the past creating vaccines and helping prevent diseases.
Alex Azar: Put People Before Politics.
Don’t Cut Lifesaving Research.
GET THE FACTS
Fetal tissue has been instrumental in creating vaccines and is being used to find cures for other devastating diseases
There are no equivalent alternatives to fetal tissue for research
A woman makes a decision to donate tissue after she makes the decision to have an abortion
WHO SUPPORTS THIS RESEARCH?
WHO OPPOSES THIS RESEARCH?
IN THE NEWS
- NEW YORK TIMES: Trump Administration Sharply Curtails Fetal Tissue Medical Research
- REUTERS: Trump Administration Moves to End U.S. Research Using Fetal Tissue From Abortions
- POLITICO: Anti-Abortion Groups Demand Ouster of NIH Chief Over Fetal Tissue
- WASHINGTON POST: Fetal tissue Research Targeted by Abortion Foes Inside Administration
- NEW YORK TIMES: Fetal Tissue Research Is Curtailed by Trump Administration
- STAT NEWS: Azar Is Empowering Anti-Fetal Tissue Research Ideologues at the Expense of Science
- GUTTMACHER POLICY REVIEW: Fetal Tissue Research: A Weapon and a Casualty in the War Against Abortion
- Email: Where's HHS' audit?
- Equity Forward Slams Azar’s Decision to Restrict Funding for Lifesaving Research, Putting Millions of Lives at Risk
- Equity Forward Launches Multi-Platform Campaign Calling on HHS Secretary Alex Azar to Protect $100M in Lifesaving Research
- In New Low, Anti-Abortion Lobby Calls for Ouster of NIH Chief…for Supporting Science
- ICYMI: WaPo Reveals HHS, Anti-Abortion Lobby in Cahoots to Gut Lifesaving Research
- Watchdog Group Launches Ad Buy Calling on Secretary Azar to Protect Lifesaving Research
- Trump’s Health Department Shuts Down HIV Research Study, Continues Pandering to Anti-Abortion Interest Groups
- Trump’s Health Department Considers Gutting $100 Million in Life-Saving Research While Taking Advice from Anti-Abortion Interest Group